- Magazine. Inspiration can be achieved through the written word. If my sporadic blog (www.bullcitycoaching.com/blog) or daily tweets (@bullcitycoach) are not doing the trick, perhaps a running magazine will. An easy, cost effective gift for your favorite runner could be a yearly subscription to one of the major runner magazines. Here are a few of the more popular ones: Runner’s World, Running Times, Women’s Running (preferably only for your female friends), Trail Runner, and Ultra Running. Usually there are discounts around the holidays, so this yearly gift will only “run” about $12 to $20.
- Apparel. Never underestimate the power new running apparel has on the mental psyche of a runner. Running can get monotonous, especially throughout the winter months. New clothing energizes runners to get out and log in the miles, despite the frigid temperatures. Well received winter apparel would include caps, gloves, socks, tights, and thermal base layers. Want to find out which piece of clothing is most needed by the gazelle in your family? Hint: through casual conversation mention, “I don’t know how you run in the winter time…don’t you get cold?” Hopefully, their response will be something along the lines of…“yeah I know I could really use a new pair of gloves this season.”
- Road ID. Nothing says I love you like a wrist or ankle identification band. On a serious note, wouldn’t it make you feel more comfortable, and hopefully the runner as well, to know that their personal information is with them at all times in case of an emergency? These products range from $15 to $30 and can be customized with the personal information of your choice. They come in a variety of colors and have been endorsed by elite cyclists and runners!
- Watch. A watch can be a runner’s best friend or greatest foe. Regardless, most runners rely on this device to keep them accountable and competitive. Watches can run from $30 to $300. A simple athletic watch/timer/stopwatch will not break the bank and perhaps suit your runner friend quite nicely. However, the latest gadgets to catch on are GPS devices. These gadgets track a runner’s mileage, pace, time, calories burned, and route. Warning: Once a runner experiences a GPS watch, they will never go back!
- iTunes Card. Still not convinced with these suggestions or looking for a last minute item? Most runners would welcome an iTunes gift card to shake up their stale playlist. What a great stocking stuffer as well!
If you are unsure about any of these products or want further guidance before making your purchase, I would be happy to consult with you at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you desire face-to-face dialogue, then I would recommend a visit to your local running store where qualified staff can point you in the direction of a perfect gift for your favorite runner! Shop well…